Soil preparation for tomatoes

I know it's recommended to not plant tomatoes in the same soil year after year. But I have limited space and have no choice but to always plant them in the same area. Are there things I can do to enhance the soil before I plant?

Curry County Oregon crop rotation horticulture tomatoes

Hello, and thanks for your question. I am asking our Master Gardeners to prepare an answer, and I will send that on to you on Thursday.

In research that they did, they suggested partially changing out soil if possible (maybe move to another bed with no potato relatives.), or at least change some out and add compost. Perhaps you may also think about using large buckets, 5 gallon or larger, which would make them more mobile and them theses could be easily dumped out and cleaned each year.

Also, look for the varieties that are most disease resistant as possible. I hope your tomatoes do well for years to come, and hope these suggestions help you get there.