Crab Apple Tree

To Whom It May Concern;

I live nearby to Fargo. I have a mature crab tree that appears to be interweaved in a mature eating apple tree. It seems it has put dampers on the growth of the regular tree and it didn't produce well this year but the crabs are plentiful. I want to know if I can safely cut away the crab apple tree growing around the good apple tree? I have another apple tree close by so they are cross pollinating. I was told any tree trimming and maintenance to fruit trees should be after the freeze so as not to harm them. Please verify and advise. Thanks in advance!

Cass County North Dakota

Good afternoon,

Without a photo, I'm not quite sure how to advise you. Specifically, is the edible-apple tree growing from the crabapple? Or are they distinctly, separate trees? If they're distinctly separate, then you should be able to remove the crabapple without any problem. If the crabapple and edible-apple are actually part of the same tree - grafted together - then there could definitely be problems with the pruning.

Yes, all apple pruning should be done in the dormant season.

Best wishes,