Drying, yellowing leaves with black/brown spots on my hornbeams

My hornbeams have just started to drop their leaves and I notice, on inspection, that the leaves are shriveled, yellowed and have brownish-black spots. What is going on? How can I stop it? These trees have been healthy for years in their current spot. Thanks,

Montgomery County Maryland

In general, hornbeams do not have a lot of problems with diseases and insects. We have had a lot of wet weather and many trees have been experiencing some leaf spots and defoliation. Usually by this time of year the trees have stored enough reserves in their root system to put out new growth next spring and this does not sound too concerning.

Please send us more information and clear photos of the whole tree, around the base, and affected foliage so we can see what you are dealing with. Also, how old are the trees, any change in soil grade, root damage, construction, etc.