Weed control

I would like alternatives to using Roundup. Horticulture vinegar sounds interestering but I have read it does not perform as well in Oregon as in other states. Steaming was a failure. I spend a lot of time hand weeding but I am 73 and we have .66 acres here. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks, Ruth

Josephine County Oregon weed issues weed control

On your acreage, it may be difficult to weed the whole plot, depending on how much is in landscaping and how much is left natural. If you have natural areas, mowing the weeds after the rain ends in spring should get you through the summer if you don't water. Mowing will make your yard look better and provide firebreaks in case of wildfire.

I can suggest several strategies for dealing with weeds in cultivated areas. Try using a pre-emergent in spring to keep weeds from growing. It is a natural material and can be found at nurseries, Granges and big box stores.

Another way to prevent weeds from invading your flower beds is to put down landscape cloth, which allows water to drain through it but keeps weeds from germinating. With or without landscape cloth in your flower beds, add 2-3 inches of mulch to prevent weeds from growing; those that do grow can be easily removed.

Drip irrigation is another strategy. It puts water where plants need it without encouraging weed growth in unplanted areas. Overhead watering will water plants and weeds alike.

The following publication, Mulching Cuts Down on Weeding and Watering, explains how to choose and use mulch .https://extension.oregonstate.edu/node/80641

Thanks for using Ask an Expert.