thousands of bugs outside the house

This summer and early fall our house is covered by thousands of insects, something not seen here over our 20 years in the house. These insects are around 1cm in length, reddish brown body with darkish almost black "shoulders." They appear to be burrowing into the mortar between the stone blocks over the base of our house and spread out during the day but congregate in large groups at night. Our property is surrounded by heavily wooded park. I worry that they are some sort of "carpenter ant." I will try to add a few pictures. What are they? Are they a threat to our house? How should I get rid of them? Thanks for any help you can provide. Brad Brown

Hennepin County Minnesota box elder bugs insect id

The insects are young box elder bugs. They are very common in the fall and don't really cause any harm. Here is a link with photos and suggestions for dealing with them. https://extension.umd.edu/hgic/boxelder-bugs-trees-and-shrubs