White mold on bare earth spots in pasture--dangerous to sheep?
With the high rainfall and very humid conditions this summer, a white mold is appearing in bare earth spots in the pasture. The earth was bare aleady, the fungus didn't kill the grass. What is this mold species (if possible to ID) and is it dangerous for my sheep if they eat it?
I can't definitively identify, but from the picture I think it is a slime mold. It may be feeding on the bacteria in the soil, or it is a fungus that is feed on decaying organic matter. I think the persistent wet conditions are why you are seeing it this year. They are generally harmless to living plants and livestock and considered beneficial. They will eventually disappear, however, you may be able to speed it up by raking the area.