Pear Jam not setting

I made some pear jam this afternoon. It called for “one box of sure jell powdered pectin” and after doing a bit of digging, I found that it was equal to one packet of liquid pectin. Except now my jam isn’t set. If I re-boil it and add another packet of the liquid pectin will it perhaps set? Is there another way to fix it? Or am I stuck with a big batch of soupy “jam”? Thanks! -Carrie

Yamhill County Oregon food safety home food preservation

Hi,

Thank you for your question. Yes, unfortunately liquid pectin and powdered pectin are not interchangeable. You can try to remake the jam by following the instructions in our "Remaking Soft Jellies" publication available at: https://extension.oregonstate.edu/sites/default/files/documents/8836/sp50604remakingsoftjellies.pdf

I hope this works for you!

Our food preservation and safety hotline is open M-F 9am-4pm - feel free to call if you'd like to discuss this more, or if you have other questions. The number is 1-800-354-7319. If after hours, leave a message and someone will call you back.

Best wishes.
Tonya