grub infestation

I lost a significant portion of my lawn due to an infestation of grubs this late summer. What is the recommended renovation procedure? Is it too late in the season to apply an insecticide effectively? I was thinking of applying an insecticide followed by aeration and over seeding.

Hennepin County Minnesota

Types of Grub Treatment Products to Consider

Always read the instructions and follow them carefully when using any type of lawn treatment. There are difference applications with different ingredients recommended for killing lawn grubs and/or preventing them.

Curative Products: Curative products will kill existing grubs on contact.

Preventative Products: Preventative products will kill grubs that are present at the time as well as those that may hatch throughout the season.

• Dylox – fast acting and most effective in the fall.
  • Merit and Mach-2 – used early in the season as a helpful prevention.
  • Milky Spore – effective and environmentally safe. Used on active grubs and as a prevention.
  • Neem Oil – a botanical pesticide that repels against beetles and lawn grubs.
  • Nematodes – a soil-dwelling worm that releases bacteria into the soil which in turn, infects and kills lawn grubs.
Here is a link from Michigan State Extension that may be useful.
http://extension.illinois.edu/lawntalk/weeds/dealing_with_white_grubs_in_lawns.cfm