Can turmeric be frozen

Hi. Can you tell me if the anti-inflammatory properties of turmeric are affected by freezing? I like to make a fermented turmeric tonic, but the supply can be spotty. Would it be possible for me to purchase the turmeric in bulk when it’s available, and freeze it before using it? I find this tonic is very helpful and would like to be able to make it year round. Incidentally it’s absolutely delicious and non-alcoholic in case you were wondering. Thank you for any help you can give me on this.

Washington County Oregon food safety home food preservation herbal remedies

I would be surprised if the anti inflammatory properties you are talking about would be destroyed by freezing since turmeric is dried and if it were destroyed it would be more likely by heat used to dry it, but not a doctor so suggest you consult with someone in the medical field. Since turmeric is dried it should be self stable and keep its quality if kept in a cool, dry dark place.

Sorry I can't be of more help. Thanks for using Ask an Expert

Nellie Oehler

Thank you, Nellie!