Local trees

Asked September 8, 2018, 8:15 PM EDT

This may sound silly or ridiculous but I was wondering if anyone knew what this was? I’m assuming since there’s a circular base then it was planted there so it couldn’t be poisonous but after taking my dog through it she’s been scratching her face a bit. I didn’t just walk her through it she was sniffing along the ground. Just wondering if her face itching would have anything to do with coming into contact

Pinellas County Florida plant identification

1 Response

That looks like a crepe myrtle, which does not cause itching as far as I know. The itching could have been from a number of things: maybe ants or other insects, an allergy to pollen in the air, or even a pesticide treatment to the landscape that she was sensitive to. I couldn't really pinpoint it, but I doubt it was the tree itself. https://www.aspca.org/pet-care/animal-poison-control/toxic-and-non-toxic-plants/crepe-myrtle

There are many poisonous plants that are cultivated and commonly planted in our landscapes so just because it was planted somewhere on purpose doesn't mean it's not poisonous.

I hope your dog is feeling better!