Mole, or some subterranean animal, is destroying my lawn

I have coexisted with moles in my lawn for years, not bothering to trap but by simply washing down the occasional mole hill with the garden hose. However, for the past two years, the presumed mole(s) tunnels just below the surface and pushes up ridges in the sod. The result is a lumpy section of lawn, covering a square yard or so, that I must tramp down or roll or else the sod dries out and turns brown. I would like to trap this creature, but the pattern is too random to determine its path. My lawn has only about two to three inches of top soil on top of clay. Presumably this is where the mole is finding food. Again, this is a recent occurrence. Any suggestions?

Multnomah County Oregon moles horticulture

Thank you for your question. The first step in management (or at least attempted management) of tunneling pests is to identify the exact animal that is there. The photo you have attached can be matched to those in this WSU Extension article: http://cru.cahe.wsu.edu/CEPublications/FS143E/FS143E.pdf.

Obviously, it would be helpful to see a photo of the exact animal(s), but you can use the information in the above article (which applies to Oregon as well), and go to the link relating to these animals, at the end of the article. There, you will find recommendations for control of whichever are burrowing in your yard. Hope this is helpful. Good luck!