Can pea weevils be introduced by purchased seed

I had my first experience with pea weevils this year. When I reported it to the seed company they said that they had to have originated in my garden. Since the other two types of peas I planted (from a different source) showed no sign of weevils, I wonder if this is true. Could the eggs have been on the outside of the pea seeds or is the problem originating in my garden?

Stevens County Washington

Dear Client,

It is not possible to assess the source of your cowpea seed beetle, Callosobruchus maculatus, infestation based on the description that you have provided. However, it is entirely probable for this insect to be spread by infested seed. All stages of the pest can be transported in the seed including the egg stage as well as the larval stage inside the seed itself. It is plausible that this infestation arose from your garden as well.

According to Wikipedia, the bean species that are most common for the beetle to lay their eggs on are cowpeas, black-eyed beans, mung beans and adzuki beans and that may explain why some types of peas show no sign of this pest species.

Good luck in your gardening endeavors, sorry for this setback!

Thank you very much for your time. Your answer helped a great deal.