Artichoke plants sprouting shoots in late summer

Hi My Globe artichoke plants have produced well this Spring and early Summer. In mid summer, two shoots emerged from a plant. I separated the shoots when they were 12" tall and planted them. Both shoots are growing slowly, after the initial shock. Now, in late summer, the same "mother" plant has six new shoots surrounding the 4" trunk. The trunk was cut back when the hot summer heat in Rogue River, yellowed and dried all the leaves. My question: Should I try and separate the new shoots and plant them or do I leave them around the "mother" pant? Is the two year old "mother" plant dead? Will it grow new leaves or are the shoots the new growth for next year. For Winter, I cut back the plants and mulch heavily. I have never had new growth this late in the season. I will be covering the new growth with mulch in October before frost , if I don't separate them fist. What should I do? Thank you for any advice you can offer me. Kirk Linstrum kaptinkirk109@gmail.com

Jackson County Oregon fruits and vegetables perennial plants

Kirk: I have had some experience growing globe artichokes. As you know, this is not really the best climate for growing and over-wintering the plants, as they are not winter-hardy in our zone. As a perennial plant, the fruiting stalk does die back and should be removed. However, I advise against thinning the plant in the summer. Those new shoots will help the plant survive the winter and yield stronger new growth in spring. Nor do I advise thinning the spring growth as the shock of transplanting will set back fruiting. You will undoubtedly find that by wintering over a fairly intact plant (minus the dead stalk) you will harvest more chokes in summer. You can wait to divide your plant until it grows quite large; perhaps leaving the plant grow 2 to 3 years before dividing it. Be careful with water-absorbing mulch piled over the plant in winter. Freezing of that mass will kill the plant. A better solution is to build a teepee of bamboo sticks and cover the plant with a heavy black plastic. Even a weak winter sun will heat the area within the plastic and serve to protect the plant. Many gardeners in our area plant annual artichokes, such as 'Imperial Star' and 'Colorado Star' (purple variety). You might also be interested in cardoon, which is an artichoke relative. It can grow 3 to 4 feet tall. Its leaf stalks and the midrib are cooked much like celery (but never eaten raw) and taste similar to artichokes. it is far more hardy than the globe artichoke. Good harvesting whichever plant you grow!

Sorry for the typo. This response is NOT a "canned response". I hope my information came through okay. if not, try again, please.