What is wrong with my plum tree?

The last couple springs my plum tree has been affected by some sort of issue. After blooming, the flowers/new leaves on some of the branches turn brown. The leaves come in very stunted and scraggly, with lots of gaps on the branch where the leaves didn't survive. What could be causing this, and how can I treat it (hopefully organically)?

Washington County Oregon fruit trees plum trees home orchard

If this damage occurred during the spring, the problem was likely aphids, sucking pests on the undersides of the leaves. At that time, a harsh water spray, repeated every several days as needed, would have blasted the small insects off the leaves. Right now, it's too late to do anything.

If the leaf distortion and crumpling began recently, please take a section of branch with affected leaves to the Washington County Extension Service Office where the Master Gardeners can examine the leaves and suggest a remedy.
The office is at 1815 NW 169th Place, Suite 1000, Beaverton, OR 97006. (Enter through the front door.) Hours for the Master Gardeners are 9 to 11:45 and 1 to 4 daily, except holidays.