How long can poached pears be stored?

Hi. I've been looking online to see how long pears poached and wine and sugar, no other ingredients , can be stored. Some sites say they can be stored for 12 months in a cabinet others say five days in a refrigerator. I do not peel my pears. I halve and core them. And then boil them for 20 minutes in wine and sugar. To serve immediately, I take the pairs out of the liquid then continue to boil the liquid for about another 20 minutes. When it is thick I spoon it over the pears. One website says that you can pour this hot liquid over pears and seal them in mason jar's and store them for up to 12 months. Is that correct? Thank you so much!

Jackson County Oregon food safety home food preservation food storage

Thank you so much for reaching out to us here at Ask An Expert. Poached pears are a delicious addition to any meal. For prolonged storage, pears must be water bath canned to assure safety and quality. All canning recipes for pears are based on a peeled fruit. If you are not peeling the pears you may not get adequate heat penetration and cannot guarantee a safe product. The process you describe above:

pour this hot liquid over pears and seal them in mason jar's and store them for up to 12 months
does not meet the minimum requirements of the available extensively tested and safe recipes. Pears must be processed in a boiling water canner at 212 degrees Fahrenheit; with the appropriate time adjust for elevation. For a recipe you would be able to store on a shelf, see our publication on Preserving Pears: https://extension.oregonstate.edu/sites/default/files/documents/8836/sp50678preservingpears.pdf