Monarch population

I live on the West Side of St. Paul near the edge of the bluff overlooking downtown and as a retiree I spend a lot of time on my patio during the summer . This year , I'm guessing that I have seen twice the number of Monarchs that I have seen in recent years . Is this experience paralleledl by more systematic surveys ?

Ramsey County Minnesota insects monarch butterflies

Thank you for the question. I, too, have noticed many, many more monarchs in my yard this year and have heard the same from others. It's quite wonderful! I don't know if our observations are confirmed by science so I've asked an Extension entomologist for any information he might have. He's out of the office through the week, so I'll get back to you next week when I hear more.

The entomologist suggested I check with the Monarch Lab at the University of Minnesota. Here is their reply:

This is a common observation throughout the monarch's northern reaches, which is great! Right now data from the Monarch Larva Monitoring Project (MLMP.org) are showing that monarch numbers are really great this year. Of course, we don't know yet if this will translate to an uptick in overall population numbers when they are counted this winter, but it's a good sign. If they have a good migration and a mild (but not too mild) winter, hopefully this will be a good year for them.

Here is a link to their website: https://monarchlab.org/

Thank you for contacting Extension.