Overwintering strawberry runners in containers

I have started some runners in small containers. Was wondering if I just leave them outside over the winter?

Lenawee County Michigan strawberries growing strawberries overwintering strawberries in containers

Yes you should be able to overwinter them outside in southern Michigan.
Covering strawberries with straw mulch to over protect them is a common practice and I would suggest you do that as well.
The strawberries will grow well into the fall and in the late fall after a few hard freezes you will notice that the leaves of the plant have laid down and are not as erect as they were the day before. Gather all the pots together and water them well. cover the pots with a mulch about 4 to 6 inches deep. Fallen leaves or grass clippings would work well also. Be sure to cover the tops and sides of the pots. In late February, after the danger of really cold weather has passed you can uncover the pots and the strawberries will start to put out new leaves and eventually flowers.