Question About Shrubs Dying

Hi team,

I'm located in Denver and have tall shrubs lining my backyard (about 7-8 ft). Slowly, one by one, they've been dying. Out of nowhere one will get completely brown.

The interesting thing is we lose about 1 shrub every other year, and they're all next to each other, which makes me think some sort of disease is spreading in the soil...slowly. They all should be getting watered evenly.

Any ideas?

Thanks so much!

Jeff

Denver County Colorado arborvitae

Arborvitae (Thuja) is labeled for 'full sun" and "regular watering" however, here in Colorado they need some protection from the intense sunlight of mile-high elevation, particularly in winter. You can try to compensate for low-humidity by giving them water at the roots, but in clay soils with poor drainage that can present its own set of problems. In short, I do not think your plants are suffering from a disease that is spreading but, rather, that they are slowly succumbing to Denver's climate and the extreme weather conditions we experience.

Very interesting. Thanks so much for the knowledge!