Bread and butter pickles

Why is it that all my pickles after canning went to the top of the jars

Kent County Michigan home food preservation

Good Morning,
There could be a few reasons why your bread and butter pickles floated to the top.
Floating happens to all of us. As long as your jars sealed and headspace is correct your should be ok. Exposed parts of the pickles may become discolored.

Take care to pack your jars tightly and eliminate air bubbles before processing. Pockets of air will work their way to the top during processing and loosen the pickles, causing room for the product to rise to the top.

If you used a family recipe I would suggest contacting the Kent County Extension office to have the recipe evaluated for safety, ask for the Food Safety Educator.

It is suggested to use a research tested recipe. Following the prep steps and processing steps are very important. The recipe I'm sharing from the National Center for Home Food Preservation has you icing the cucumbers first. Then cooking them for 10 minutes, then processing them in a hot water bath for 10 minutes. All of these steps are very important to properly kill pathogens.https://nchfp.uga.edu/how/can_06/bread_butter_pickles.html

If you have further questions, please ask. We want you ensure you have safe, high-quality products by using and following directions of up-to-date, tested recipes from reliable resources.