Is this a Queen European Paper Wasp?

Found many wasps on a specific plant in my garden, a flowering sea holly. When I looked closer I saw this huge wasp that was over an inch long and I suspect it is a queen of some sort. Anyone have information on this species? I want the wasps gone from my yard but not the pollinating bees.

Garfield County Colorado beneficial insects digger wasp sphex great golden digger wasp sand digger sphecidae sphex ichneumoneus

Thank you for using the Ask an Expert Service.

From the picture, the wasp appears to be a Great Golden Digger Wasp (likely Sphex ichneumoneus- please note that it is not possible to guarantee the species without having the specimen in hand, and under a microscope. ). This is a beneficial wasp variety that preys upon grasshoppers and crickets, and is fairly common in North America.

They are a Solitary wasp species, meaning that they do not nest in a colony, and there are no queens. You can learn more about them here:
https://bygl.osu.edu/node/513

Thanks,