rejuvenating garden soil

The past couple of years the plants (tomatoes, peppers, cucumbers, squash, etc.) in our little (10x12) garden plot have been looking kind of puny. Early this Spring I applied and tilled under chicken manure fertilizer. This season the all the plants looked healthy and robust, but except for the cucumbers, have produced very low, or in the case of the squash, no yields. I was thinking that I might also need to add more organic matter to the soil. There are large oak and sycamore trees, and we get a ton of leaves every year. Are those okay to use in garden soil? If so, what would be the best method of preparing/applying them? Any advice you can offer will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Clark County Kentucky agriculture clark county kentucky soil and fertility issues

The best thing to do would be to soil sample the garden plot so you know for sure what type of nutrients the garden needs. The Clark County Cooperative Extension Office does free soil testing so bring some soil from the garden in and we will work up the results for you. Call 859-744-4682. Once we get those results back we can talk more specifically about yield.

Thanks