My name is Sandy Panik, & I live in the West Park, Kamms Corner area of...

My name is Sandy Panik, & I live in the West Park, Kamms Corner area of Cleveland, OH. We have a neighbor living on Lydian Ave., with a backyard filled with trees, looking like they are diseased. The owner of the home is a retired man, with parents deceased. I'm not certain if he has any family at all, since we have never seen company at this home. George has "special needs", don't know exactly what his learning curve was, but, he's done so well with survival thus far. The trees are overwhelming, & it appears they may be causing damage to his home as well. His home is in need of repair too. Does your department do any inspection/clearing of trees, at no cost? Or, could you direct me to where help may be? Thanking you in advance for reviewing this matter.

Cuyahoga County Ohio

Thanks for being an advocate for your neighbor! OSU Extension does not do any inspections or clearing of trees. The best thing to do if get in contact with the City of Cleveland Department on Aging. I hope this helps. These all may be of interest but here is the tree program specifically:

City of Cleveland Office on Aging

Cleveland Tree Assistance Program (CTAP)

216.664.2833 ● Weekdays 8 am to 5 pm ● 75 Erieview Plaza, 2nd Floor, Cleveland, OH 44114

CTAP Application

The Cleveland Department of Aging in partnership with the Department of Public Works and the Department of Community Development has a program to help seniors and adults with disabilities with limited incomes with hazardous tree and branch removal on their personal

Chore Services

216.664.2833 - Weekdays 7:30 am -4:30 pm - 75 Erieview Plaza, Cleveland OH 44114

Chore Services Flyer
Indoor Chore Services Flyer

This program provides free home maintenance for moderate to low income Clevelanders 60 years of age and older and adults with disabilities. It helps residents live independent lifestyles while improving and maintaining the City's appearance.

Chore workers are City employees who provide services indoor and outdoor home maintenance tasks such as: general house cleaning, installation of smoke detectors, lawn mowing, leaf raking, and snow shoveling.

Enrollment for outdoor services is conducted annually in early spring. It is recommended that residents call prior to February 1st to request an application.

Leaf and Lawn Programs

216.664.2833 - Weekdays 8 am to 5 pm

Annually, the Department of Aging accepts applications for a no-cost Senior Lawn Cutting Program. The program runs to October.

Senior Homeowner Assistance Program (SHAP)

216.664.2833 - Weekdays 8 am to 5 pm - 75 Erieview Plaza, 2nd Floor

SHAP Program

SHAP provides grants to Cleveland residents age 60+ or disabled adults who meet income eligibility guidelines and own single or two family homes in need of critical, health, safety and maintenance repairs. Applicants must live in the property in question and be able to show clear title. Proof of address (mortgage, insurance, utility bill, etc.), photo ID, and proof of income are required.