Help! My Spruce is dying!

Hello. I just planted this spruce in the spring. It was doing great until recently when everything seems to be wilting and needles falling off. All the new growth seems to be dying. What is it and what can I do?

Baltimore County Maryland spruce decline tree

Your spruce is struggling and looks like it was not able to establish itself. You may be dealing with a root problem. The top is dead and there is tip dieback. Some reasons for decline include planting too deeply; poor drainage; were the roots teased apart so they could grow into the native soil; if you added a lot of organic matter into the planting hole you may have created a bathtub effect as water sits in the planting hole and drowns the tree. Take a look at our website for the planting process, video (explains the process), and aftercare. http://extension.umd.edu/hgic/plants/planting-process

We recommend that you replace the tree. Otherwise, it will struggle.