After researching on-line I believe what I have are Arborvitae shrubs. I have...

After researching on-line I believe what I have are Arborvitae shrubs. I have a row of 10 of them in my yard. They are all around 35-40 ft tall. They are turning brown one by one from the top down. I have 2 that are completely brown. There is one on the opposite end that is turning brown and is now half-way down. I can see that it is spreading to the one next to it. What happened? We have lived here for 16 years and they have always looked wonderful and healthy. Is there any way to stop this? I appreciate any help you can give us. Thank you so much.

Sibley County Minnesota

They probably are suffering from winter damage. It is a common problem with them. There isn't anything that you can do to fix the damage that is done. About all that you can do is keep them well watered and apply some fertilizer in the spring to keep them as healthy as possible. They are quite close together so there is competition for the moisture that is available too. Here is a link with info about winter damage. https://extension.umn.edu/planting-and-growing-guides/protecting-trees-and-shrubs-winter