Weeping Willow - young, dropping all leaves

I planted a 5' tall weeping willow tree last November, it was doing well till recently. I have others that I planted on my property as well and they are thriving pretty well. This one has dropped most of it's leaves, has a lean to it and the base trunk does not seem to have thickened as the other willows have. Any idea on what's going on and how I can help it survive?

Calvert County Maryland

Even though all the trees were planted at the same time each tree is on its own root system and planted in different locations. Your tree is struggling to establish itself and dealing with some stress.Some factors may be: not enough moisture when the tree was planted, girdling roots, poor drainage, planting too deeply, were the roots teased apart so they can establish into the native soil, etc. Take a look at our website for the planting process, our video, and after care. http://extension.umd.edu/hgic/plants/planting-process

Even though we have had abundant moisture you will have to monitor and water during dry periods. Make sure mulch is no thicker than several inches and away from the base of the trunk. Hopefully the tree will put out new growth next spring.