summer post harvest Marionberry cane care

Hi, This is my 3rd year with my Marionberries, but I am unsure of what to do with my next year canes. They are about 12 feet long some of them and are very vigorous. I already cut out the old canes and am left with my new canes that are super long. I did not trim them back at all. Should I? I just left them super long and kind of wove them back onto their trellis. I have a wire at 4 feet and 7 feet. Also I have raspberries that are the same issue. Should I cut them back to 5 feet or so and tie them to their wire or leave all the new growth uncut?

Marion County Oregon marionberries horticulture

Both of these berries have exuberant first year growth that can make working around them challenging. The Marion berries can indeed be woven back and forth on the wires. The raspberries may be topped after tying up. For complete details I’m included two links to OSU Extension publications which will help you. Growing Blackberries in Your Home Garden and Growing Raspberries in Your Home Garden. May you enjoy cane berries for many years to come.