What is eating my tomato plants?

wahsoe county

Someone please help me!!! I have some kind of (fungus - i think) destroying my garden but especially my tomatoes. It starts by turning the leaves yellow and spreads throughout the plant then the ends become brittle and appear as if they haven't been watered and are dying. I have watched an entire plant shrivel up completely, die and eventually disappear. I have tried baking soda, oil, water and a drop of dawn dish soap. That did not work so i then went to home depot and bought some funguside. Can you please help me?

Washoe County Nevada

By your description it is very possible you a disease like Fusarium wilt fungus or Vericilium which are both common on tomato plants. The best way to determine if you have a disease is to bring a sample with live tissue transitioning into dead.

You can bring it into our office at 4955 Energy Way, Reno, NV 89502 or you can take the a sample directly to the plant pathologist at the Nevada Department of Agriculture, 405 21st St, Sparks, NV 89431

If you have questions please feel free to call 775-784-4848 and we can walk you through the process.

The testing is free and it generally takes about out a week. I have attached a link that describes a little bit about Fusarium Wilt in tomatoes.

http://ipm.ucanr.edu/PMG/r783101011.html