Testing pressure canning gauges

Asked August 19, 2018, 12:22 PM EDT

Does the Portland area extension office test pressure cooker gauges? Thanks. Sue

Multnomah County Oregon

1 Response

Due to budget cuts, Extension Services does not have an office in Multnomah County that can assist with food preservation or gauge testing. However, gauge testing is available at the Washington County Extension Office (8 AM – 12 PM and 1 - 5 PM). Our Washington Extension Service Office is located at 1815 NE 169th Place, Suite 1000, Beaverton. Please call (503) 821-1150 for additional information.

Other resources in Multnomah and Washington County include:

Ace Hardware, 3602 Pacific Ave., Forest Grove, (503) 357-3164, canner gauge tests and carry replacement canner parts.

Joe’s Place Farm, 701 NE 112th Ave, Vancouver (call first to make certain someone is there) (360) 892-3974, canner gauge tests and Clear Jel sales.

Blake’s Decorette Shops, 11945 SW Pacific Hwy, Ste 109 (in Tigard Plaza), Tigard, (503) 620-5100 has Clear Jel available in 1 and 5 lb bags.

Cash and Carry, 3950 SW 170th Ave, Aloha, (503) 649-4903 has 25 pound sacks of Clear Jel.

For any other questions related to food safety and preservation, you can call our OSU Extension toll-free food safety/preservation hotline at 800-354-7319. The hotline runs until Oct. 12 from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m., Monday through Friday. The volunteers have a statewide list of where we have gauge testing available. When the hotline is closed, callers can leave a message. The hotline is staffed by certified Master Food Preserver volunteers in Lane and Douglas counties, but it’s available statewide.

Thank you for contacting Ask an Expert. Happy canning!