Killing brush

I have these bushes that are growing around my house they can get I don't know 10-15 feet high most of them are about 3 or 4 feet high they have long narrow leaves maybe two 3in long they have thorns and small red berries that the birds just love to eat and I'd like to know how to kill him and they also spread out from the roots. Thank you

Michigan trees and shrubs plant removal

It sounds like you have firethorn or possibly a type of rhamnus shrub. If you can, attach a picture of one branch cut off and laid out on a plain background, so I can clearly see how the leaves are attached—- and showing the berries and thorns. And a second picture of a whole shrub, I may be able to tell what it is.

Most shrubs are killed by Glyphosate or triclopyr herbicide. Be careful, these herbicides kill desirable trees, shrubs and plants, too. Use the ‘cut stump’ method to kill the shrubs— here is a description—-

http://www.aces.edu/pubs/docs/A/ANR-1465/ANR-1465-low.pdf

Please remember to follow all precautions on the label of whatever chemical you use. Don’t get any herbicide on the leaves, branches or roots of trees, shrubs, plants or grass you want to keep.

Since the shrubs sprout up from creeping roots, you will need to monitor for 2-3 seasons and be ready to paint herbicide on any sprouts that come up. Let these treated sprouts stand for 7 days even if they look dead- it takes time for herbicide to move down to the root. Or you can keep clipping sprouts off when they are small (less than 6 inches tall.) and the roots will eventually die. Thank you for using our service.