Loving my little visitor!

I have a toad living in the bottom of a flower pot on my deck rail. It leaves at night and returns around 5:00am. Should I keep the plant wet so it has ample water to live in or is it ok if the plant is just moist? I love watching this little guy (or girl) and am worried where it will go when I bring the plant in.

Kent County Delaware

Thank you for your question. I can't see enough of your visitor to positively identify it. I believe it's a common gray treefrog, scientific name Hyla versicolor, or Cope's gray treefrog, Hyla chrysoscelis. Both species are very similar, and are difficult to distinguish unless you can examine them under a microscope or hear their calls.

Here's a link to a Marshall University website where you can listen to calls from each species:

https://www.marshall.edu/herp/old/graytreefrog.htm

I would water your plant as is necessary for the plant. If the frog is continuing to return each morning, then it finds the conditions in your flower pot suitable for its needs. Treefrogs don't live in water, so I would not fill up the portion where it's sitting in the photograph with standing water.

When you need to bring the plant in for winter, these frogs take shelter under bark or they may utilize shallow burrows. They can withstand freezing temperatures for several days. Their bodies can produce glycerol and/or maintain high levels of glucose in their blood which prevents damage to their cells from freezing.

I hope this information helps, and thank you for contacting Ask An Expert.

Jim

Thank you so much for your response! It’s greatly appreciated and helps tremendously!

You're welcome. Contact us anytime.

Jim