Lilacs

We rent so my lilac bush is in a large pot, we have had so much rain, could that be why the leaves are turning black? What can I do to make it healthy again?

Davidson County North Carolina horticulture lilacs

It's hard to say what's going on without knowing a little bit more so I have a few questions.

• When did you notice the leaves begin turning?
  • How much of the plant is affected? Pictures might also be helpful in determining what's going on if you want to send some.
  • Before all the rain, how often did the plant get watered?
One other thing, if you can, take the plant out of the pot and take a look at the roots. If the roots are brown/black, are mushy, or there is an odor, it could potentially be that the roots are rotting, and that certainly could be caused by the rain, or could have potentially happened over the course of time.

Hopefully the answers to these questions and maybe some photos will point me in the right direction on how to help you.

Thanks,