Hydrangea- white laced

My plant is about 7 years old. We love watching it change colors. I pruned it back just a little bit last year but it is enormous this year. Any ideas as to how to prune it back this fall?

Baltimore County Maryland pruning shrubs hydrangea plant care hydrangea paniculata pruning hydrangea pruing

Hydrangea paniculata can tolerate a lot of pruning. Prune in early spring, before it starts to actively grow.

If you need to limit its size, you can cut it back to a low permanent framework (even as low as 10" in an open location, but 2 feet high if it's in the back of a border.) It will put out plenty of new growth and flowers.

In subsequent year, you can keep pruning back to just above the framework, to a pair of healthy leaf buds. If you cut it back this severely each year, it will produce bigger blooms, but not as many.