michigan Lamb Seller to friend, Which license do I need?

Asked August 8, 2018, 12:23 PM EDT

Hi all.
I hope this message finds you well.

I have a small farm in Michigan and I plan on buying 12 to 15 lambs and then resell to customers.
The customers or friends will slaughter and skin themselves on my land and take the meat to their home for consumption. Which permits or licenses do I need?

Washtenaw County Michigan

1 Response

When animals are slaughtered under custom exempt status, there is no inspection. Meat that is processed under custom exempt status must be used by the owner of the live animal, members of the owner’s family, non-paying guests of the owner or employees of the owner. Custom exempt meat cannot be sold or donated. The person utilizing the meat from a custom exempt facility must own the live animal (create documentation for the sale of the live animal), and accepts responsibility for the health status of the animal and husbandry that the live animal received. All packages of meat must be clearly labeled “not for sale.”