Rescue trees from Roundup

A yard service came on our lot and worked in a beauty bark area under two mature Ponderosa (80'ish) They started with a weed eater to cut the grass overgrown from the lawn into the Beauty Bark, holding the weeder vertically so that it stirred up the bark. After raking they returned with a shoulder pack to spray roundup on the denuded bark area. I do not know which of the roundup products was in use. The spray wand was set for zero dispersal and held 9"-12" above the bark. The wand was was waved slowly back and forth with each sweep moving forward only 2"-3"s. They seemed to be attempting to saturate the bark. I am concerned that the round up will soak down and into the Ponderosa roots. Can I do anything to protect these big beautiful trees? Remove the Bark? Water? Not water?

Deschutes County Oregon trees and shrubs herbicides horticulture

Hi, I will not be able to give you a definitive answer without knowing the type of product for sure. Normally roundup has to touch the "green" part of the plant to work as an herbicide. I think that they came out with some pre-emergent products which may have a different active ingredient in it that works in a different way. If you able to find out exactly what they sprayed then the product label will be able to advise on your questions. If you are concerned in the short term, you could remove the bark. I would suggest trying to find out the exact product so you can make a more informed decision.

Thanks,