mini-planting area at base of tall trees on city streets

Asked August 5, 2018, 2:30 PM EDT

Is there a word that describes these roughly 3' x 9' gardens you see all over the city, often neglected and overgrown? I am looking for a book that discusses their challenges and shows examples. Can you suggest one? Thanks.

District of Columbia plant selection plant care trees

1 Response

These plantings under trees are sometimes called tree wells, tree pits, or tree beds. Here is a publication about them from the Brooklyn Botanic Garden.

The planting area between the street and sidewalk is also sometimes referred to as a "hellstrip" and there is an entire book devoted to gardening in areas like this.

"Sidewalk Gardens of New York" might be another good reference book for you.