hydranga bushes

I have 2 hydranga bushes that I've had abt 3 years. This year they are blooming but the plant looks terrible. Thel leaves are all yellow with brown around the edges. Is there something lacking in the soil. We live in an area very short of rain but I have been watering them off and on. What do I need to do?

Aurora County South Dakota

I believe you have answered the question already when you mention that your area is short of rain. Hydrangeas need quite a bit of water to look their best. When they are water stressed, the edges of the leaves and tissue in between the leaf veins will be where the water stress will show up first. Be sure you are watering them thoroughly and probably every few days during hot, dry weather. Apply enough water so that the area extending out from the base of the plant as far as the plants are tall gets saturated. You might want to consider using a soaker hose that you can place around the plant in a couple circles, starting about a foot from the base and then another foot out from that to apply the water efficiently.