Pruning sweet cherry trees

I have read that the best time of year to prune sweet cherry trees is later summer. When is the best time of year to prune sweet cherry trees in southeastern Minnesota?

Goodhue County Minnesota

This publication will give you information on pruning cherry trees, including sweet cherry trees. As you will see it is suggesting that light pruning of sweet cheery trees should occur in the late summer.

https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/edible/fruits/cherry/cherry-tree-pruning.htm

My sweet cherry tree is currently a leggy 12-15 feet tall. I would like to top it and remove some lower branches. When is the best time of year for that kind of pruning?

Given what you want to do, I would wait until March 2019 to do this type of pruning when your cherry tree is still rather dormant. To do this rather severe pruning at this time of the year, when your tree will soon be storing energy for the upcoming winter, may be too much of a shock for it.

Did you get any cherries from your tree or are they still maturing?

Best

I did get a few sweet cherries during June 2017. No sweet cherries this June. I guess is a combination of too much vertical growth and severe winter weather during April. Other plants that did not bare were Mount Royal Plum, Caroline raspberries, Honey Crisp apple and Haralson apple. Only my sour cherry and blueberries produced any fruit this season.
Thank you so much for the input. Stay comfortable in this weather.

I believe that you have correctly analyzed the situation.

Bestg