sweet cherry jam with little or no sugar

Do you have a good recipe for cherry jam, made with sweet bing cherries? Little or no sugar added? Thanks. Linnette Gallagher

Tillamook County Oregon home food preservation jam

I would suggest using a pectin to ensure that the jam thickens. There are a few commercial pectins that work well with no sugar, low sugar or alternative sweeteners. The instructions for each one vary slightly, so I suggest that you find a pectin in your local supermarket that is labeled “for low or no sugar jam,” and use the instructions that are in the package. If they do not list cherries, the company will have a recipe that you may have to find on their website or obtain from their customer service. They will have a toll-free customer service number on the package.

For more information, you can contact our OSU Extension Service toll-free food safety and preservation hotline at 1-800-354-7319. M-F, 9am - 4 pm.