Roots in crawl space

We have removed several roots in our crawl space. One root end is regrowing. How do we stop it?

Washtenaw County Michigan

Good morning,
Could you tell me what kind of roots are in your crawl space? Are they tree roots or a type of plant. Any additional information will be helpful.

there are 2 trees that could be the culprit, a 20 year old japanese/apple tree or a 40 year old cottonwood
We have cut several large smooth roots out and one is developing new shoots off of it.

I'm sorry I don't really have a solution to offer you.
Cotton Wood trees are known for their large and aggressive root systems. I do not know of any method to kill the roots without killing the tree. The roots do favor moisture.
If you are able to have the trees removed, the root system will take persistent effort to kill, but it can be done over the course of a few years, and then a more appropriate tree hedge could be planted.
You can prune visible roots, but the damage to cut the roots and the feeder roots can harm or even kill the tree. I would advise calling a local arborist.