What type of pear and when to harvest in Milwaukie/ Portland/ Kellogg creek area

Hello: I live in Milwaukie Oregon near Kellogg creek and have a pear tree and do not know the specific type as the Bartlett, comice and D'anjou all look to have some similar qualities. I am trying to distinguish when to harvest my fruit as the 3 types seem to have very different harvest and storage times. Can you please advise what type they look like from the pictures and when I should harvest and how to store them to ripen correctly? Much appreciated- David

Clackamas County Oregon fruits and vegetables pears horticulture

Hi,

Thanks for contacting Ask an Expert. The OSU Extension publication Picking and Storing Apples and Pears should provide helpful guidance for when to harvest different types of pears in your area.

This story offers a nice overview of general best practices for harvesting and ripening pears.

do you know what type of pears these are from the pictures attached?
Thank you!

Thanks for the question. The one on the left appears to be a green Anjou; the one on the right appears to be a Bosc. You can compare them to the photos on this Extension webpage. Hope this is helpful.