Chlorine bleach as herbicide

What are the effects of bleach on surrounding plants and soil when used as an herbicide? Need cited information as daughter's neighbor is planning on this use and she is down slope of neighbor who is going to use on property line in urban area - not acreage. I have found two sources, but nothing from a University. I will continue to search, but would appreciate your assistance.

Marion County Oregon herbicides horticulture

Chlorine is used as a detergent and disinfectant. It is not registered as an herbicide in Oregon and is not legal to use for this purpose. If this neighbor is determined to use an active ingredient such as this they should instead consider organic herbicide products that are based on plant oils like clove or similar oils. These products are registered for this use and are sold with a label that includes directions for use.

Feel free to write with additional questions to the email address below.

Thanks - that's pretty much what I found, but needed your OSU expertise on the reply.
=)