Homemade sauerkraut

I am two weeks into letting my sauerkraut ferment. I'm noticing there is no water on top of the cabbage, but it tastes okay. But I want to let it ferment longer. Should I cover the cabbage with more water? It started out with plenty of water to cover cabbage and it has a cover and a weight on top.

Lane County Oregon food safety home food preservation

There are two things you can do. You can take off the weight, if you have one on top, and then push the kraut down and see if you have enough juice to cover the cabbage. If not, you can make up some additional brine (1 1/2 T salt to 1 quart of water) and add a little extra brine to the kraut to cover cabbage. This ratio of salt to water is the concentration of the brine that is already in the container so you won't dilute the salt concentration.

If you have other food preservation questions you might like to call the OSU Extension Food Preservation/safety hotline which is open M-F 9 am - 4 pm until mid October. Certified Master Food Preserver Volunteers are available to personally answer your questions. The number is 1-800-354-7319.

Thanks for using Ask an Expert

Nellie Oehler

.