2 Questions

Hi,

Would you know the answer to the below 2 questions or could you please direct me to someone who would?

1). Arborvitae - I was wondering if you know of any possible Arborvitae that would grow to 10 to 15 feet high and approx 4 feet wide that would be Deer resistant, i.e., that Deer dont eat?

I plan to use them as a border hedge.

I planted some Holmstrups and Deer dont eat them, but they only get to about 7 feet.

2). Boxwood Hedge - I was told that Boxwood is very susceptable to Winterburn. Is that true?
Would you know of a good hedge to plant around the base of two large Maple trees?

Thanks much.

Jeff Combs

Ramsey County Minnesota boxwood arborvitae horticulture

DeGroot has the proportions you desire but it is sheer luck that deer haven't dined on your Holmstrup. Unfortunately there are no deer resistant arborvitae. Deer will eat different plants at different times. Yes, boxwood quite often suffers from winterburn. It is a combination of not enough moisture going into winter and drying winter winds. I don't quite understand that you are trying to do with a hedge. Are you actually talking around the base of the trees or farther out? Maple trees provide great shade but as a consequence only shade loving plants will grow there. That also is dry shade as the tree roots catch the moisture first. The best thing for under your maples is wood mulch. You can put in a few shade loving perennials for color.