Strange Orange Mushroom

Asked July 24, 2018, 11:04 AM EDT

This large orange mushroom appeared under my oak tree about a week ago, during the drought, before the current deluge. Is it edible? Thank you for responding.

Baltimore County Maryland

1 Response

This looks like a type of wood decay fungi on the oak. It is a decay organism living off dead wood.
There is no easy way to determine which mushrooms are edible. We do not have a mycologist on staff and we are not authorized to identify mushrooms as to whether they are edible or not. We suggest that you contact the Mycological Society of Washington D.C.
You are wise to be cautious. Some mushrooms could make you very sick or kill you if you make a mistake.