Gypsy Moth presence

What can I do about several nests of Gypsy Moths in my birch trees in front of my house? I live on the corner of 17th and Franklin in Astoria. I can’t afford to pay to have a professional remove the nests, but I’m wondering if because they are a known destructive species, is there a program available with the county for removal that would be of minimal or no cost to me. I’m wheelchair bound and so cannot attempt the work myself. But I also don’t want my trees butchered as was done to a tree across the street from me — I believe the City did that bit of work. I’ll certainly appreciate any suggestions you can make in this matter.

Clatsop County Oregon

Thank you for sending your question to Ask an Expert. I have a few questions before I can help you. When and where did you have this moth identified? Did you receive a letter from any Clatsop County stating these moths were present in your area. Please respond so I can help you further. Thank You Von

Hello! Thanks for getting back to me so quickly. Actually, my neighbor is the person who told me what (she thought) they were. However, I got a friend to take a picture of one of the nests, and I submitted it to a person online whose hobby it is to identify all sorts of insects. The reply I received from them was that it looked to them like a common tent caterpillar nest. So I'm inclined to believe that too since I remember seeing nests like it in my youth. So, I don't think there is any cause for alarm after all.

Again, I thank you for your time in responding. I'm going to let it go for now and get someone to just prune out what they can reach and get rid of some of them that way. (Also, "No" to your question as to whether I've heard something from my county.

Best regards, Kate