ClearJel

I have a recipe for German Mustard Pickle which calls for 1/4 cup of flour added to the sauce mixture and boiled for 5 minutes. I'm worried about using flour and was thinking that regular ClearJel starch might be a better option. I's appreciate your thoughts on this. If you know where I might buy ClearJel locally, please let me know. Thanks, Dave Dilworth Dora Thea Hettwer’s Schleiss Gurken from “The Pleasures of Preserving and Pickling” by Jeanne Lesem Te German recipe for sliced pickles is the best of its kind I’ve ever taster. They are milder and a little sweeter than my mustard pickles, and I like them particularly with cold cuts, potato salad, and beer. 2 ½ lbs small unwaxed cucumbers sliced ¼ inch thick (about 2 quarts) 1 lb small white onions (peeled and sliced ¼ inch thick (about 2 2/3 cups) 6 tablespoons coarse (kosher) salt or 4 ½ tablespoons pickling salt, dissolved in 6 cups of water and cooled 2 1/2 cups small cauliflower flowerets (about ½ lb.) ¼ cup flour 1 ¾ cups sugar 2 ½ tablespoons ground mustard 4 ½ teaspoons celery seed 4 ½ teaspoons mustard seed ½ teaspoon curry powder 3 cups cider vinegar ½ lb red bell pepper, stemmed, seeded, and cut into ½ inch chunks (about 1 1/3 cups) Place the sliced cucumbers in a 2 ½ to 3-quart bowl (not aluminum) and the prepared onions in a 1-quart bowl. Divide the cooled brine between the two, and weight them with plates and jars filled with water. Let stand 8 to 12 hours. The next day, cover flowerets with boiling water and boil rapidly about 3 minutes. Drain at once and cover with cold water to stop cooking. Drain again. Rinse and drain the cucumbers and onions, and place them in a 4- or 5-quart saucepan. Mix the flour, sugar, and spices in a 2-quart saucepan, breaking up lumps before slowly stirring in the vinegar. Add diced bell pepper and bring quickly to a boil, stirring constantly. Continue to stir and boil mixture 5 minutes, until the sauce thickens slightly. Remove from heat and keep warm while heating the pickles. Cover the pickles with boiling water and return to the boiling point, stirring often. Drain the vegetables well in a colander, return them to the pan, and add sauce. Stir often as you bring mixture to a boil over high heat. When it boils, adjust heat to keep pickles hot without cooking them, and quickly pack them into hot, sterilized pint jars, covering with sauce to within ¼ inch of the top. Store at least a month before using. Makes about 10 ½ cups.

Baltimore County Maryland food preservation

Please look through this link to
Maryland's Food Preservation page: http://extension.umd.edu/foodsafety/home-food-preservation-and-canning

If it is not helpful, please contact your local Extension office to talk with a food preservation person.
See here Baltimore County: http://extension.umd.edu/baltimore-county