create a bat house

How do you make & attract bats? What side of building do you mount bat house? Can I feed or attract bats with plants? Live in Molalla,OR. I need some guidance on this. Thank You, Roy Salvetti

Clackamas County Oregon

There are several Internet groups you can find by doing a Goggle search dedicated to making and using bat houses. There are also several books on this subject such as The Bat House Builder's Handbook that are available on Amazon and elsewhere. However, the most important thing to remember is that there is no guarantee that building and installing a bat house will attract bats. There are a lot of factors involved with getting bats to use a bat house and even the best bat house, installed at optimum locations are not guaranteed to work. Lastly, you need to ask yourself why you want bats in the first place. Despite popular opinion, bats are not a good mosquito control agent as they eat a variety of insects and most don't target mosquitoes. However, if you just enjoy seeing bats, have other insects they actually eat controlled by them, and/or just want to help with the conservation of bats then I highly encourage you to pursue building and installing a bat house.