Pervasive insect problem

The insects pictured below have killed some of my shrubs. They seem to be on everything in my yard. I believe this is year number three although we had an infestation of something years back which caused us to re-do our front foundation plants. Garden center said they were spider mites and gave me a systemic spray (attaches to garden hose). I don’t like using chemicals but gave it a try twice. Also tried spraying plants with higher pressure water and cutting off affected branches. Insects are getting worse and are on almost every plant in yard. Can send more pics if needed. How can I get rid of them?

Montgomery County Maryland pesticides insect or spider id flowers: annuals and herbaceous perennials

What you are seeing there is evidence of plant hoppers. They suck plant juices and leave behind the fuzz, but generally do not harm plants and do not need to be controlled. Here is our page about them: http://extension.umd.edu/hgic/planthoppers-flowers They can be on many plants so it looks like a culprit but it is not.
It's a shame that the garden center told you it was spider mites (it looks nothing like this) and had you use pesticides as that may have knocked out all of your beneficial insects.
Can you be more specific about what plants you are concerned about and what you are seeing? We'd be happy to try and help. Just send us another question. Photo attachments are very helpful.