Safe for Water bath canning?

Hello! I have developed a wonderful recipe for some Prickly Pear BBQ Sauce and want to know if it is safe for a water bath canning method. The recipe is as follows: 1 cup ketchup 1/2 cup Prickly Pear Syrup (which I make with 1 cup Prickly Pear Juice I make from the fruit and 1 cup sugar cooked down to syrup consistency) 1/4 cup Apple Cider Vinegar (raw organic) 2 TBSP Honey 2 TBSP Molasses (organic) 1/4 cup my own cajun seasoning which I will post below I combine all ingredients and cook until thick enough to coat the back of a spoon. My cajun seasoning: 2 TBSP granulated garlic 2 TBSP granulated onion 2 TBSP dried oregano 2 TBSP dried basil 1 TBSP dried thyme 2 TBSP black pepper 2 tsp Dried Chipolte 5 TBSP Paprika 3 1/2 TBSP season salt (I combine these all and keep in a container to use per recipe) I would love to know if my BBQ is safe for a water bath. I am going to also make a Blueberry Pear Syrup this year with equal parts blueberries and pears with my steam juicer. Looking forward to hearing from you!

Lane County Oregon food safety home food preservation

Your recipe sounds very interesting and tasty however I would be guessing if I said it was ok to water bath can. OSU and USDA only recommend research based recipes for home food preservation. There are so many variables when we develop our own recipes. Processing time is based on acidity level, consistency, density, cooking time etc. I have found very little research-based information on canning prickly pears which makes me a little uneasy. My suggestion is that you freeze your sauce for safety.

The same with the syrup recipe. If it has lots of sugar and some lemon in it, it would be like a runny jelly so probably ok With prickly pear not sure.

It is never a good idea to experiment when canning at home. I would suggest freezing, then you will be sure you are ok. It would be quality rather than safety.

If you have other food preservation/safety questions you can call the OSU Extension Food Preservation/Safety hotline which is now open M-F 9 am-4 pm until mid October. The number is 1-8000-354-7319. Certified Master Food Preservers are available to answer your quesitons.

Nellie Oehler