Flies on my Quick Fire Hydrangea

I have 2 Quick Fire Hydrangea's out my back patio door. Both stand over 12 feet tall and are doing great! However, every year I get thousands of flies on them and I am now ready to cut them both down due to the amount of flies that I have by my door. Is this common? Do these plants attract flies? Is there anything I can do to get rid of them? Thank you!! Heather

Anoka County Minnesota horticulture hydrangeas

When hydrangeas are first blooming there is a huge amount of nectar. All kinds of insects are attracted to the sweet treats including our multitude of tiny native bees. Some of the insects you see may be those little bees. In a week or so they will be gone and you can enjoy your hydrangea. If you think back you did not have all those flying insects in such numbers on your shrub later last summer. You may want to consider doing some trimming on them next March/early April before they leaf out. You will be able to enjoy shrubs which are not hiding your home.